Sunday, March 15, 2009

Father Flanagan's $10 steak - Review

We started out this evening with the plan to tackle the Sunday roast at Don't Tell Tom in Sydney Road. Sadly, we were informed by the friendly bloke checking tickets at the door, that they had a tickets-only show on at the moment, as part of the music festival. So folks, if you are chasing a sunday roast, right now don't pay any attention to my list. I'm hoping things will be back to normal in a couple of weeks, but if they aren't I'll have to do a bit of updating.

So the three of us ventured down to Father Flanagan's,
484 Smith St (on the corner of Alexander Pde & Smith St) in Collingwood to sample their $10 steaks instead.
We were pretty happy with what we found, so without further ado, here's the story.

Salad: I can't rave about the salad, it had some squiggle of very ordinary creamy dressing across the top of some sliced onion and tomato over mixed leaves, but it was better than none at all, and didn't detract from the main event.
Chips: always a shame when they are placed under the steak, as there's the chance of sogginess, but these were fine. I'm always quick to shift the steak when it appears anyway, so any possible sogging avoided. Fairly generous serve of decent chips.
Steak: decent t-bone, everyone was happy with the way their steak was cooked to their liking, served with a basic pub-style gravy over the top. Thankfully it wasn't swimming in the stuff as I'm not the world's biggest fan of it, but its always good when there's something there to finish the chips off with.
Drinks: we had pints of beer and cider with our dinner, they were good, and not overpriced.
Atmosphere at the pub: tonight was fairly quiet, a couple of Irish boys sitting up at the bar chatting to the bartender, a handful of other people around, with Phil Collins crooning gently over the soundsytem. Definitely not a packed and jumping kind of place, although I have been here for St Patrick's Day and you couldn't move - packed in like sardines. From the looks of it they cater to the Uni crowd pretty well with lots of student offers, cheap drinks on certain nights etc.

Overall - good deal, definitely a bargain steak night to recommend if you're at a loose end on a Sunday and you've run out of dosh.

Note: I do have a shot of the plate on my phone but having trouble downloading it for some reason. Will get to it when I've had a word with the phone co.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea for a blog and I love a cheap meal. Ill be sure to drop by again soon and see where your eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea! I'm such a fan of the ten dollar steak night, but I had noticed this had been dying out a bit, and making way for the $12 or $15 steak night... I'm glad you've decided to keep us all up to date and I can continue being a tight-ass for that little bit longer :) mmm now i'm feeling hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks muchly for the comments ladies, I will keep things updated as often as possible! About to take some leave and head out of town so will be gone for a week or two but rest assured I'll be back on to it as soon as I return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI
    Thanks for this all information about melbourne restaurant i like it
    dinner deals melbourne

    ReplyDelete